Skip to content

ABOUT PROJECT GIGABIT

The government is on a mission to deliver lightning-fast, reliable broadband to everyone in the UK and is investing £5billion in Project Gigabit to ensure that hard-to-reach communities are not left out.

The Gigabytes

Meet the family benefitting from gigabit speeds

MEET THE GIGABYTES

Project Gigabit is looking to extend gigabit capable broadband speeds to reach at least 85% of UK premises by the end of 2025.

Approximately 80% of coverage is expected to be achieved by commercial rollouts, which leaves the new project to focus on the final 20% of rural and semi-rural areas (approx. 71,000 premises in Staffordshire).

Staffordshire has an estimated procurement date of Autumn 2022, with a commencement date of Summer 2023.

Public Review Launch in Leicestershire, Warwickshire and Surrounding Areas

The government is on a mission to deliver lightning-fast, reliable broadband to everyone in the UK and is investing £5 billion in Project Gigabit to ensure that hard-to-reach communities are not left out. Building Digital UK (BDUK) is carrying out a Public Review to help identify areas in Leicestershire, Warwickshire and surrounding areas that may be suitable for future public funding for gigabit-capable broadband.

BDUK is seeking information and supporting evidence from suppliers - in relation to the presence of gigabit-capable broadband infrastructure within the project area. 

They wish to hear from all relevant stakeholders - including the public, businesses, internet service providers and broadband infrastructure operators - particularly in relation to the proposed mapped eligible areas.

This Public Review opens on Friday 17 June 2022 at 5pm and closes on Monday 18 July 2022 at 5pm.

To respond to this Public Review, and for more information, please see BDUK’s page below:

https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/uk-gigabit-programme-leicestershire-and-warwickshire-public-review